There are moments in my new RA life that I suddenly realize the person I was is long gone. Most of us lose who we are in a slow, methodical manner---unless for some reason some big change happens, whether by our choice (become a marathon runner) or life (disease).
Each little thing causes us to change, in a big, fast, unrecognizable manner, or the small, little, slow changes. So I am not who I was. I am, however, seeing many things that were (and
are) sins in my life that are being worn away with the sandpaper of chronic illness. It is
difficult to be prideful when there is little one can do. It is
difficult to be intelligent to the world's standard of "wisdom" when you
forget words.
I am not who I was. I continue to change, day in and day out. I am me, and I am not me, all while being me.
Tozer speaks at great lengths in The Knowledge of the Holy about God's unchanging Self:
" In this world where men forget us, change their attitudes toward us as their private interest dictate, and revise their opinion of us for the slightest cause, is it not a source of wondrous strength to know that the God with whom we have to do changes not? That His attitude toward us now is the same as it was in eternity past and will be in eternity to come?"
Imagine, momentarily, if God was as changing as we. A rather horrifying thought. I enjoy mythological things---because really, if you read any of the Greek god lore, you will laugh yourself silly. The gods in those account DO change. They are always being cruel to someone, changing and loving the person the next. The marry, intermarry, rape, molest (ok, that stuff isn't funny, just bizarre). Changeable gods are not a positive thing.
Instead we have a God who remains the same. He is the same in and out of time, does not need to work on any faults, loves the same, is the same. Tozer more or less states that God is so certain in Himself that I AM THAT I AM is indeed who He is--no other name would fit as well, as that title also fits every aspect of Who He is. A fascinating point made too was that God cannot learn--which sounds insulting until you realize that the One who spoke everything into being, and as the header verse states, holds everything together. This great Lord of ours knows everything! What would He have to learn?
God doesn't change. He has no need to change; He is perfection beyond description. Thank Him that He helps us to change into a better creature and to share eternity with Him.
Top Verses
Col 1:15-19
15 The Son is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. 16 For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him. 17 He is before all things, and in him all things hold together. 18 And he is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning and the firstborn from among the dead, so that in everything he might have the supremacy. 19 For God was pleased to have all his fullness dwell in him
15 The Son is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. 16 For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him. 17 He is before all things, and in him all things hold together. 18 And he is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning and the firstborn from among the dead, so that in everything he might have the supremacy. 19 For God was pleased to have all his fullness dwell in him
Rheumatoid Awareness
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
RA Awareness Day
No comments:
Post a Comment