Top Verses

Col 1:15-19
15
The Son is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation.
16 For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him. 17 He is before all things, and in him all things hold together. 18 And he is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning and the firstborn from among the dead, so that in everything he might have the supremacy. 19 For God was pleased to have all his fullness dwell in him

Rheumatoid Awareness

Rheumatoid Awareness

Monday, May 18, 2015

Questioning the Thorn

From J.E. Tada's More Precious than Silver

Suffering deflates self. At least, it's supposed to. The apostle Paul inferred in this verse 2 Cor 12.7 tjat affliction was given so that his focus might not be on self but on the Savior. Paul said that when he was weak, God was strong. He added that his suffering helped him know God better. We would only say the same. So why do we squirm when we feel the thorn in our flesh? Why do we keep asking why? The clue is hidden in the questions we ask when we suffer: will I? Can I? etc. The questions themselves are technically me-centered. Even when we hit upon good reasons why, those reasons can be centered around self; me me me statements. 
The main point of suffering is to know God better. The subpoints are benefits. 

This was astoundingly powerful to me when I read it in March. I spent every day asking why? Why me? Why this, why that? why why why?? It was a waste of time. 
Suffering is a result of our choice centuries ago to have a love affair. A love affair with evil. So we receive suffering. True, God could stop all suffering at this point, but suffering is often what makes people look toward Him. That is not to say He enjoys suffering, and He does not send suffering. I believe that every bit of suffering we have has to go through the Job idea: demon asks to torture person, God may or may not give the approval. 
Many people would say that this is cruel, horrid! What sort of God is this?
Well...from all my findings thus far, He is the only God who will adopt you as sons, complete with birthright. It seems like any other god does little for the followers...
And knowing God better. Oh. I cannot tell you the wonders of that. I have always wanted to study the Word and God as I studied college subjects. That is what I do now. Any day that I am well enough to sit up and take notice of the world, I am devouring solid Christian authors, the Word, Bible studies, devotionals. I am at the very beginning of a huge project. And I love it. God is so much bigger than anything. Bigger than RA, or fibromyalgia or anything. And the love He has for us is incredible. So yes....the thorn is worth it. Even though I still ask God to remove mine, or make it less.

No comments:

Post a Comment

RA Awareness Day

RA Awareness Day