The Wonderful Spirit Filled Life. C Stanley
Acts 1 4 On one occasion, while he was eating with them, he gave them this command: “Do not leave Jerusalem, but wait for the gift my Father promised, which you have heard me speak about. 5 For John baptized with[a] water, but in a few days you will be baptized with[b] the Holy Spirit.”
6 Then they gathered around him and asked him, “Lord, are you at this time going to restore the kingdom to Israel?”7 He said to them: “It is not for you to know the times or dates the Father has set by his own authority. 8 But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.”
Jesus knew they were not ready for the task to which they had been called. They would need more than their human spirit to carry them...they needed help. They needed the Holy Spirit. If [those men] needed...the Spirit, how foolish we are to charge out of the house every morning without giving Him a thought.
Wow. If you really stop and think, just stop and think...the idea that the men who had spent three years with Jesus could not face the world is pretty incredible. It makes us look like the biggest fools in the world to think that we can just march out into the world (maybe worse, march into the world thinking we are mimicking Him and showing others His love) without giving Him a so much as how do you do.
In that regard I, too, am falling behind. With a bit of a relief of my RA, I am living in rapture of the world as far as I can hobble...reading books, watering plants a little...but maybe my joy is in a sense worship to my God. I cannot thank Him enough for giving me the little bit of peace from my disease...as I look in wonder at the broken world we live in. So I am falling short in prayer and Bible research...yet I think my heart explodes in joy with Him at the world. I feel such joy.
Yet, in my past are days that I rushed out of the house to work or school without giving the time of day. Life poisons us into thinking that there will be time for all that later. FOOL. There is nothing of more value than time with our King...Days will slip by, days that could lead to further maturation in our relationship with Christ.
When we get a boyfriend/girlfriend, we would not dare to ignore them with the strength we manage to ignore our Father, pretending that we do not need Him. Maybe we are not even consciously ignoring Him....just swept away. So we must make an effort. An effort to hear Him. An effort to speak with Him. An effort to be still with Him.
He is always right there, waiting. We are, after all, bearing His mark of the Holy Spirit. Pretty poor way to treat the best gift in the world by not listening.
No comments:
Post a Comment