Top Verses

Col 1:15-19
15
The Son is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation.
16 For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him. 17 He is before all things, and in him all things hold together. 18 And he is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning and the firstborn from among the dead, so that in everything he might have the supremacy. 19 For God was pleased to have all his fullness dwell in him

Rheumatoid Awareness

Rheumatoid Awareness

Thursday, July 16, 2015

Mini-gods 2.0

For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weakness, insults, hardships, persecutions and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong. 2 Cor 12.10

The Wonderful Spirit-Filled life, C. Stanley

Jesus let it be known (Jn 16.7--see below), however, that God was looking for more than our best, He was looking for a lifestyle and attitude that superseded our best, a lifestyle and attitude that we could never attain through our best efforts. The promise of a Helper was Jesus' way of tipping us off to one of the most profound truths concerning the Christian Life----its impossible.
Christianity is not the problem. More than likely, the problem is that you have been trying to live it without the Holy Spirit.

Jn 16.7 But very truly I tell you, it is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Advocate will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you.

There it is again. We amazing mini-gods rushing around informing ourselves (and everyone around us as well) that we can do it. We aren't spending time "being still and knowing God"---in fact, we hardly stay still long enough to scarf down a meal at the local sandwich shop, grossing out the fellow customers. I, myself, have not spent as much time reading my Bible as I would like---I keep getting distracted by what little things I can do. 
It happens. The world is loud and shiny. It shouts out to us as a heavy metal band concert would prevent sleeping next door. We focus on that. 
We even ignore the Holy Spirit's nudge. He nudges harder and harder for our attention....and at the same time the evil of the world adds more bass to its concert. It is no doubt hard. 
Then, the other spectrum decides to be the perfect Christian. This person usually succeeds for some time....but exhaustion will wear them down. No one in the world can be the perfect Christian, with or without a job on top of it. 
Just as we do not have the strength to face the days that are too tough to stand...we do not have the strength to face the world in a godly manner without listening and leaning on the Holy Spirit. Without this, continuing to ignore Him and be mini-gods, we decide all manner of evils are good and deserved. We decide to allow things into our lives that are not helpful to our souls, but poison more and more the relationship we have with Him. It is not that we can't restart and have a good solid relationship with God....but we have to take the step and release the idea of a mini-god...and admit that we are wrong, admit that we need help. 
God is so incredibly loving....He will not turn His back on you, and will provide strength, endurance...all those good things. But you have to give up being in control, and letting the Master lead you through green pastures and narrow, dark places. That is the only way you will be able to take it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

RA Awareness Day

RA Awareness Day