My dear pastor was speaking on Acts 4. 1-16 and a bit in Ephesians that the reference escapes me.
These sections were on the body, the church--what it is. That we are part of the body the moment we accept. After all, we will all be in Paradise together.
The part of the sermon that caught my attention was service in or outside the church. For instance being involved in children's ministry or being a missionary and the vast spectrum between that can have each of us as a witness to others. Of course I include jobs and day to day things as part of that.
Now there is me. Especially since I am restarting the immune suppression meds, my RA will likely flare, leading me to much more illness and pain. At that point I am quite unable to do much of anything, regardless of my irritation at being quiet.
Thus is the question. What then are those who are bed bound, limited in mobility or otherwise facing mild or severe disabilities to do as a witness in and out of the body? Few would or could medically be missionaries. Few would or could do a great many things. Joni Earicksson Tada herself writes about fighting her mind against being able to continue speaking when in pain. It seems like a great problem.
Then we might think of Moses. Commissioned by God Himself to go speak to Pharoah, Moses claimed.his disability in speech as reason for not being chosen. God was extraordinarily gracious, all things considered....He, as I recall, told Moses not to fear, He would be with him. Nope. Not enough. (Just as we say constantly). Finally, his brother was made the speaking piece. Some of the honor was lost for Moses then, but that great honor followed through Aaron's line of priests.
We all use our disability to not do something. We refuse to teach Sunday school, or we do this or that. Now, add the quandary.of me. I cannot reliably do things, especially with stopping meds. I get stupid when my RA fever starts...i fall asleep on a chair. What service might I do?
Mine, as the only outreach I can do, is this blog. I would do more, but every attempt leads to worse illness. So this is it.
We may feel limited in what service we offer out because of disability, be it paralysis or anxiety. We avoid things. Sometimes I think we must simply push through, as I pushed through anxiety to go to college. Other times we may find that we offer an outreach simply by being available for others to speak to. Each of us was indeed given a gift...and we can use that gift. Mine has always been compassion, empathy and sympathy. It comes easy, mostly, for me to use them. I want to. What strengths do you have and love to use? Use them as you are around people. Doesn't mean you have to write a blog, or travel to a far away place. Use it today on family, friends and coworkers. Do for the glory and honor of God. There's nothing quite like the warmth of pleasing the Lord. In other words...just honestly try to please Him. Things will fall into place for you to bring glory to God in my experience. Even if means thanking a caregiver graciously for all they do.
Top Verses
Col 1:15-19
15 The Son is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. 16 For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him. 17 He is before all things, and in him all things hold together. 18 And he is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning and the firstborn from among the dead, so that in everything he might have the supremacy. 19 For God was pleased to have all his fullness dwell in him
15 The Son is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. 16 For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him. 17 He is before all things, and in him all things hold together. 18 And he is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning and the firstborn from among the dead, so that in everything he might have the supremacy. 19 For God was pleased to have all his fullness dwell in him
Rheumatoid Awareness
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
RA Awareness Day
No comments:
Post a Comment