Philip Yancey, in his book "Disappointment with God", writes an intriguing line. He says that he small prayers that we make that are not answered make us think that God does not care--that praying for small (or big) things do not matter.
While I am not a great prayer-warrior, I have been debating this the last two days and have come to think this.
We should keep a prayer journal. When you read over the journal, you find that either the prayer you asked for was incredibly silly, selfish, angry or whathaveyou, while at the same point, you find great and enormous answers to those small prayers. You just missed them.
I do not always write my prayers. Indeed, I am, as I said, a poor prayer warrior. My mind wanders when I pray, which is why I do have many older journals with some prayers in them.
When we pray, or even when we ask for answers, sometimes we set limitations; that is, we will say to God, please let me know if I am supposed to do X, Y, or Z.
Ha!
Yes, I am laughing. I am laughing at myself and my own history. The biggest prayer I made of this sort, and made constantly...was as constantly giving me an answer. I just did not WANT that answer. The answer was no. A good, solid no...and while at the time that no was devastating, and nearly poisoned my faith in connection with a certain person, the answer God was always saying was indeed the correct answer. A good and solid NO. No, flee, run away child!
Yet, oh, how I did not want to. Prayers all day, every day...hope upon hope...with an answer of NO! by the actions of the other person involved.
So yes. I am laughing at myself. We ask God for things, put limits on our words, thinking we can force God into doing what we want, all the while missing the fact that He has our best interest at heart.
I have read in those same prayer journals the huge answers God gave me. Sometimes (very often) it was not what I thought I would get...but what I did get was infinitely better. God does gather us under His wings as a mother hen does her chicks. All depends on if we are the stupid sort of chick who likes to explore and faces the chance of predators (spiritual and human) and death by freezing (lack of God). Up to us to make that choice, and to continue to speak with God, waiting humbly (however hard that is) for His loving answer. His answers may be hard at times, and answers we do not understand....but in my experience, my limited experience, His answers are always the better option.
Top Verses
Col 1:15-19
15 The Son is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. 16 For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him. 17 He is before all things, and in him all things hold together. 18 And he is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning and the firstborn from among the dead, so that in everything he might have the supremacy. 19 For God was pleased to have all his fullness dwell in him
15 The Son is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. 16 For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him. 17 He is before all things, and in him all things hold together. 18 And he is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning and the firstborn from among the dead, so that in everything he might have the supremacy. 19 For God was pleased to have all his fullness dwell in him
Rheumatoid Awareness
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
RA Awareness Day
No comments:
Post a Comment