Reading a new book again--well, really I am reading several at once. Switching it around keeps one busy mentally. Or makes one mental, I am not certain which. (In a jovial mood, you see).
'The benchmark of success in church services has become more about attendance than the movement of the Holy Spirit. The "entertainment" model of church was largely adopted in the 1980s and '90s." Francis Chan, "Forgotten God" introduction section, page 15
How many times do we "go to church" as entertainment? To see people? I am not saying fellowship is bad--far from it! Indeed, it is of great importance that we are about fellow Christians. One can stagnate alone, with little discussion of God, what God is doing, how He is working. Yet there is the danger too of making church little more than a shopping center to chat in. The movie theater lobby.
How many times to we "go to church" because it is something we should do, another checklist on out weekly to-do list? We dress our children up, round up scattered Bibles, maybe even a journal to take along (either to use or to look especially pious).
We need to look at church (and church need provide!) as a way to worship God fully, but also as a chance to learn more about Him. A set, special time for God...not for us to necessarily mingle with others (again, this is an important thing!), but to grow in God.
I had the opportunity today to actually attend church. Let me describe the joy that I have to go to church. Do not think me "spiritually better"---for I feel among the least of the least...but the joy and rapture I have at going to church is something I have never had before. The lessons learned (and learning) while facing chronic pain/illness are indeed enlightening.
The ability to be able to go ANYWHERE is cause for celebration, but the chance to go to church for me is now one of distinct thrill. I get to listen to one speak who has studied longer than I. I get to converse with men and women who have studied longer than I. I get to discuss things I have recently found and be steered in new, good direction by the experiences of others.
Take charge of the chances of church. The blessings of it is incredible. The chances we have, in the USA, at this point to speak to others fairly openly and learn is incredible. I am still ecstatic. Do not let church become "Sunday Entertainment"...as I myself have known before.
Top Verses
Col 1:15-19
15 The Son is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. 16 For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him. 17 He is before all things, and in him all things hold together. 18 And he is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning and the firstborn from among the dead, so that in everything he might have the supremacy. 19 For God was pleased to have all his fullness dwell in him
15 The Son is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. 16 For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him. 17 He is before all things, and in him all things hold together. 18 And he is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning and the firstborn from among the dead, so that in everything he might have the supremacy. 19 For God was pleased to have all his fullness dwell in him
Rheumatoid Awareness
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
RA Awareness Day
No comments:
Post a Comment