I have been working through "The Trial and Death of Jesus Christ" by James Stalker. Highly recommend it, and it is free on e-book.
Anyway, while I am still at the trial portion of the sacrifice of Christ, his writing style has me pondering other sections to come. The purpose of a good Christian author, on speaking on such subjects, is to slow us down from "rote" memory and think about what it is we are reading and hearing. Stalker does this well.
Again, I am still in the trial section of the commentary...but I began to think suddenly of the large Passover crowds. Not just Jew, but gentile----political and military force, vendors etc. A regular flood of persons from all areas of the Roman world!
Jesus dies. Right there, with I am certain a large group watching. One, they would have to see this man who had done miracles (so they heard), but most importantly had so upset the Jewish priests.
Stalker says that history relates that these men were greatly disliked and equally feared. I imagine that the crowds half loved that Jesus said to their faces what they had often thought. But now He was hanging on a cross...and the world watched and jeered.
Secondly, people had no TV. Have you not heard of the Hanging Parties of the U.S.? Picnic baskets and children abounded as someone swung with broken neck from the gallows----great entertainment! Considering the history of film, humans have not lessened in their thirst for gore.
So there was this crowd watching in semi delighted horror as three men suffocated in agony from crosses. Soldiers cast lots for clothing, not doubt laughing drunkenly. The great classic The Robe stated the soldiers were drunk to stand doing their duty----whether true or not, it gives a great picture for us.
As Jesus hangs there, there is an earthquake and darkness for three hours (I believe). No doubt science would state it was some volcanic eruption. It might have been, but what timing! It also mentions, with great importance, the tearing of the curtain in the temple. This, of course, suggests that we no longer relied upon the priests but upon our High Priest forevermore, Jesus (Yeshua).
However, I want to point out that I am certain this curtain was not the drapes we often have. The origin curtain was doubled woven goat-hair. Thick and hard to rip. This was a desperation of the Holy of Holies, so that some poor soul did not "accidentally" get into the room and die. Instantly. There were sons of Aaron who approached the area with unauthorized fire, and died. Bang.
My husband, who went to Bible college, tells me that the bells woven to the base of the priestly robes were to let those outside know if he had died. Apparently, the men also wore a rope, to be pulled out by if they died. Have you read the procedures for standing in that room? So lengthy and pointed in detail that the priest went in once a year.
It means a lot that this curtain tore. And, Herod liking to show off, I imagine this curtain may have been more elaborate. Do not quote me, as I have not looked that detail up.
So, all these things happen, Jesus is laid away, rises and is even seen about the countryside for 40 days.
Thousands of Jews and gentiles. I imagine they carried home this tale and told everyone on the way. No TV, remember? I am sure it spread like wildfire...and then the Apostles went to confirm it.
Fascinating what hits the mind if we slow down and consider what we are reading in the Word. For it is truly magnificent.
Top Verses
Col 1:15-19
15 The Son is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. 16 For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him. 17 He is before all things, and in him all things hold together. 18 And he is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning and the firstborn from among the dead, so that in everything he might have the supremacy. 19 For God was pleased to have all his fullness dwell in him
15 The Son is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. 16 For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him. 17 He is before all things, and in him all things hold together. 18 And he is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning and the firstborn from among the dead, so that in everything he might have the supremacy. 19 For God was pleased to have all his fullness dwell in him
Rheumatoid Awareness
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
RA Awareness Day
No comments:
Post a Comment