Top Verses

Col 1:15-19
15
The Son is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation.
16 For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him. 17 He is before all things, and in him all things hold together. 18 And he is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning and the firstborn from among the dead, so that in everything he might have the supremacy. 19 For God was pleased to have all his fullness dwell in him

Rheumatoid Awareness

Rheumatoid Awareness

Thursday, June 30, 2016

Wept a Little Weep

Today I "wept a little weep" as is described in one of my all time favorite books, Little Women (Louisa May Alcott). In the case of Little Women, the character Beth wept over her trials of housework, shyness uncooperative piano. I believe there was something else inthere, but do not recall it at this moment. 
My weeping had more to do with the sadness of seeing a near-normal day, seeing blue sky in the storm...and then having the eye of the hurricane close again. In many ways having a good day at all isworse than just being sick constantly. For then the loss of normalcy stings anew. 
One might, in reading about Beth's trials of housework or the uncooperative piano as amusing. So trivial, say, than that of cancer, homelessness, death-threats that abound about the world. And yet is it really? 
I have been fighting RA nearly two years, and say this is a harder battle than the depression, anxiety anorexia I fought many years ago. To the outsider, my battle is less than cancer, etc., and while I do not fight those battles and thus cannot say for certain.... I have learned this .We must never belittle another's cross. The cross which is cutting into another is, for that person, horrendous. 
I was reading the Trial and Death of Jesus Christ byJames Stalker the other day, and came to a section considering the man who carried the cross for Christ. The book vaguely mentioned what it may have been like for him to be forced to carry a symbol of death for another, pointing out that this would have made him ceremonially unclean. I lay here and consider though, what it must have been like. the jeering, whooping crowds that likely pushed in on Him, pushing also against Christ. Soldiers mocking. Worse, I personally would have had the fear rolling in my gut that at the end of this procession.....the soldiers and people would decide it was great fun to put me on a cross! Hang the law, as it were, and add another! I do not recall ever reading if the man in question became a believer....but regardless, consider the haunting visions of carrying someone else's burden to the very point of death. 
We ought to consider each other this way, not laughing or scoffing severity of suffering. True, some things are more frightening than an uncooperative piano, but the trial is still a trial. 
Each day we continue forward, whether facing death threats, facing pain from disease, facing some small irritation and remember Christ---and act accordingly (!) is an honorable day for Him. Do we remember to ask for His strength, to dedicate the day to Him? Do we remember we carry His cross each day by remembering Him, and showing through our behavior His person? 
I may be pulled from the servitude of nursing I expected to follow, but, I need remind myself, am I working as I am physically, mentally, spiritually able to honor and glorify the Lord? That is the most important aspect of our existence, along with loving one another. Ask for strength for your own trial...and yet be willing, when the moment presents itself, to carry someone else's cross. Listen to the broken hearted moan over an out of tune piano, soothe a new widow, assist the ill. Moments present themselves, answer them wisely.                                        
    
       

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this extraordinary piece. I cannot tell you how much this made me think of the moments I failed to answer the moment. Peace be with you, and let love and wisdom continue to shine through you.
    From a friend who remains anonymous! http://extremepainratruth.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

RA Awareness Day

RA Awareness Day