Top Verses

Col 1:15-19
15
The Son is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation.
16 For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him. 17 He is before all things, and in him all things hold together. 18 And he is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning and the firstborn from among the dead, so that in everything he might have the supremacy. 19 For God was pleased to have all his fullness dwell in him

Rheumatoid Awareness

Rheumatoid Awareness

Wednesday, May 4, 2016

An Example of Fellowship

I have been trying to attend a Bible study every Wednesday morning. I've made it to quite a few, and desperately wanted to make it to today's. Despite my white face and building exhaustion, I tried. 
Naturally within an hour nausea was also beginning to build, as well as the painful hot flush I get over my face. The study is two hours long, so after conferring about my health with my mother, prepared to leave....

We are charged in many portions of Scripture to be in fellowship with other believers. The Apostles ordered congregations with the encouraging, praying, loving and disciplining one another. People are, sadly, often weak at these behaviors alone, but when we have a relationship with Christ and the Father, we have His Spirit poured out on us, making such things a sign of His presence. (See 1 John for examples and suggestions to this end.)

Today I was blessed by such fellowship. As I left the leader for today caught me and prayed over me. As I walked through the hallway a fellow sister in the Spirit caught me to mention something I had said in the study----how my RA has taught me that I must release anger, fear, sadness, in other words sins, because they otherwise make my illness worse by making flares happen/worsen----but noticing I was leaving, prayed over me with two other women.

We need such fellowship. For one, I have been greatly encouraged by listening to those about me; many have been solid believers for longer than I have, and what knowledge and wisdom we can partake of from them! Further, especially as women, but men too,we need to be able to discuss the hard trials of life. Paul, if we think about it, mentioned the thorn in his side to a congregation...even though he had accepted his thorn, accepted that Christ's grace was sufficient, such acceptance still often means the thorn digs deeper at certain times.
It is foolishness to walk the earth alone in faith, to have no contact with other believers. Even our missionaries, when in a new place, can write in some manner to those above them at the organization, to home churches, to family and friends, and many seem to shortly find believers to cluster to. We do not expect our military members to have no contact with family at home...why should we expect to walk in faith with no contact with "family"?
God created us, man first you recall....and then said man should not be alone, making a help meet for the first man. I would imagine our fellow believers are very like that help meet. 

I do believe that while I have slept a lot today, I do not feel as ill as I often do. Jesus listens to prayers, certainly, as I have found often in my life. Sometimes they are not answered right then, nor as we consider the right way. But, today, I have had an easier time than some days. I am grateful to the Lord for that, but also for the women who prayed with me and for me. 

One person said to me that my RA was a blessing in a way. I, still crying softly from the prayers, wiped my eyes and replied that RA is one of the most extraordinary blessings and extraordinary curses. For I have the "time" to study the Word and the desperate need to lean on God's strength that in my pre RA days was there, but not always as overwhelming a need. 

Take advantage of health to praise God, take advantage of illness to shout glory and honor, take advantage of the lack of time in many cultures to show God your love by refusing something in order to put Him first by having the time to spend with Him. Learn to think of God all day, to pray without ceasing. I write this to you, but also to myself. 
Above other things, make certain fellowship with the Church happens in some order or manner. For a walk alone in faith can be done...but there is not much like having loving arms about you as others in your Bible study pray for you, giving you another glimpse at the overwhelming love of Christ for you, and knowing He whispers through them you are not alone even when you write a blog post late at night while the house sleeps. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

RA Awareness Day

RA Awareness Day