Top Verses

Col 1:15-19
15
The Son is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation.
16 For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him. 17 He is before all things, and in him all things hold together. 18 And he is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning and the firstborn from among the dead, so that in everything he might have the supremacy. 19 For God was pleased to have all his fullness dwell in him

Rheumatoid Awareness

Rheumatoid Awareness

Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Couldn't Look Past

Secret Strength, J. E. Tada
He couldn't see past his disability.

While this quote spoke of a man so focused on his paralysis that he could not see God...It struck a different note for me.

I have decided that disabilities are not just those one gets a parking placard for, or receives funding for. No, disabilities are those things that keep us from seeing, seeking, loving God.
Indeed, one must focus on a sin or fault to an extent to battle it to submission; one cannot focus fully on it. 

When I was more heavily fighting terrible anxiety/depression, I could not dwell on the fact I was fighting. If I thought of the battle I was fighting, how far I had to go, and all the little set backs, the Monster became too great in my eyes. I could no longer reach for God. Instead, the Monster was fed, growing on a version of worship by awareness. 
Instead, I had to think of my disability as that moment. At that moment was I going to think about the fear that clutched my heart so badly I could not breathe? Or was I going to cry out to God, begging for help, and feel His answering presence of peace and strength? To see my Monster diminish to a manageable level that my Father and I would destroy? 
I face a new disability now. A physical one. Again, I must make the choice of whether I am going to focus on my disability with the likely years of pain/misery, and thus give it the power of my worship to become a god...or I can fight in the moment by choosing God's presence to battle my Monster alongside my Father. With the latter choice, although I may indeed face years of illness, I have already won and overcome with God giving me strength---not becoming cowed by my disability. Perhaps I will still be unable to do many things...but I destroyed a god which is surely worth much. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

RA Awareness Day

RA Awareness Day