The Pursuit of God. A.W. Tozer
The whole transaction of religious conversion has been made mechanical and spiritless...Christ may be "received" without creating any special love for Him in the soul of the receiver. The man is "saved", but he is not hungry or thirsty after God.
I have seen this out and about in the "Christian" community, but furthermore, we can consider that we go through seasons of this in our own walks. Particularly if we are not watching our walk.
It is too easy in this life, this busy, demanding life, to begin to walk along the path of nothing. We know God is there, but we "have" to focus on this thing, this god, right in front of us. They are even necessary things: jobs, families, friends, volunteer and church-related things. Good things. However, we begin to not see the trees for the forest.
I realized in nursing school that I could spend hours and days studying to be able to pass an exam, to know what I was doing as a nurse. Yet I could not, had not, and did not spend the same time and effort with my King and Savior. I intended to, it just did not happen.
After school, I was married and working. I tried to spend time with Him, but yet again, things happened. I was tired. I had to do laundry. I had to do this, I had to do that.
Even now, if I have increased health, and so can be distracted by "things to do", I do not spend the time and effort in studies that I do during flare-ups.
Life simply demands our attention. Naturally it was not meant to be that way in the Garden; yet our Lord did walk the earth and understands. Not that that gives us free reign to run amok and not seek Him, no.
Instead we must remember in whatever way makes remembering best for us that our Lord is truly the most important Thing in our lives. Spending time with God is not a check-list item. It is necessary---and our life is easier, simply because no matter what we face, we find ourselves deeply involved with the Lord.
So it depends. Are we mechanically saved today, or are we alive in Christ? We can make that change to alive. And being alive in Christ is alive, so very alive...even if in the confines of a couch in pain and nausea.
No comments:
Post a Comment