(Timothy Keller, in Preaching, points out that all verses in the Bible somehow point to Christ, as I discussed in three or four posts back.)
Exodus 4.16 He will speak to the people for you, and it will be as if he were your mouth and as if you were God to him.
Exodus 7.1 Then the Lord said to Moses, “See, I have made you like God to Pharaoh, and your brother Aaron will be your prophet.Alright then. Keller speaks on Christ as being the perfect of all the flawed men of God, of all the patriarchs, prophets and "good" men that we know. Try as we might, we are not perfect (which thankfully the Lord knows and forgives!)...Moses, of course, did not want to take on speaking to Pharaoh. I can't say I blame the man--I would not have been terribly pleased with the idea myself. Yes, go speak to one of the top rulers and demand for freedom of his vast slave demographic, his way of wealth and power. No thank you.
If you read the passage from the first burning bush meeting (around chap 3, I believe), you can note that God tells Moses numerous times that He will be there with Moses. Moses is not going to go about this alone. Even so, while being in the presence of God, Moses fears he cannot do what lays before him. God continues to encourage him, but in the end leaves the majority of the speaking to Aaron.
There are a few things I like about the passages I quoted. One, it reminds me of Christ. Christ, the perfect man, the Lord Himself, and John the Baptist as His prophet. Echos of what was to come for this nation and the world begin so very early in the Bible. Imperfect echos, yes...but echos that stream back over time; shockwaves, if you will, that instead of affecting the future as normal, affected the past too. Who knows if it really worked like that...another thing to maybe find out in heaven.
Two, I love these passages and chapters now because of the insistence that God keeps making about being with Moses; Moses was not to be left alone in this fight.
We get asked to do seemingly impossible things--speak to a ruthless king, fight a giant, handle cancer, take on chronic diseases, even a horrible day at work. How fleeting those things really are in time, but more importantly...see how God kept telling Moses He would be with him, even when Moses was still refusing to even try. God will not abandon us as we try to get out of trying. Instead, He provides ways for us to be able to handle it while leaning on Him. Doors and windows open to allow ways for us to make steps in fighting our battles. More often than not, He even gives us a shove. Here! Here is Aaron, he will help. Go on now, let us not stay here; go to Egypt! A good, solid shove out the door.
God has been incredible in the past, as these verses show, and I cannot fathom what I read for the future. Imagine how many incredible things He has done for you and I, and the stories of thousands and thousands and thousands of other believers that He has touched and will touch. I do indeed hope that we can read and see the millions upon millions of stories.
No comments:
Post a Comment