Top Verses

Col 1:15-19
15
The Son is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation.
16 For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him. 17 He is before all things, and in him all things hold together. 18 And he is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning and the firstborn from among the dead, so that in everything he might have the supremacy. 19 For God was pleased to have all his fullness dwell in him

Rheumatoid Awareness

Rheumatoid Awareness

Friday, March 24, 2017

Reaching for Coins

Sometimes as I read through the pages and pages of Jewish tradition, I feel like it is a lost cause. Pages and pages of what seemingly is as "usual" to the religion as the usual morning church service we have in the US Christian circle. 
However, I am determined to continue in my research, seeking to find hidden jewels in the culture I do not belong in and am ignorant of. And today I found a piece of lapis lazuli--at least to me.

The Maimonides Eight Levels of Charity has such a gem. Maimonides was a rabbi; "Rabbi Moshe ben Maimon, known by the acronym the “Rambam”, 1135-1204" Rabbi.
If I consider that what he wrote spoke of how things were back another millenium, to Christ's time (sadly I am unable to find anything at this point to prove it one way or another), then this idea is really rather fascinating: 
 "The greatest sages used to tie coins into their robes and throw them behind their backs, and the poor would come up and pick the coins out of their robes, so that they would not be ashamed."charity

Now, perhaps you think what I think, or I have completely lost you! So I will now tell you one of my favorite stories of Christ: 
 42 because his only daughter, a girl of about twelve, was dying.
As Jesus was on his way, the crowds almost crushed him. 43 And a woman was there who had been subject to bleeding for twelve years,[a] but no one could heal her. 44 She came up behind him and touched the edge of his cloak, and immediately her bleeding stopped.
45 “Who touched me?” Jesus asked.
When they all denied it, Peter said, “Master, the people are crowding and pressing against you.”
46 But Jesus said, “Someone touched me; I know that power has gone out from me.”
47 Then the woman, seeing that she could not go unnoticed, came trembling and fell at his feet. In the presence of all the people, she told why she had touched him and how she had been instantly healed. 48 Then he said to her, “Daughter, your faith has healed you. Go in peace.” Lk 8NIV

To me, I see from this tradition of coins tied to the backs of the rabbis robes for charity, and to not shame the person who needed help, a similar situation here. That she who was ill, tired and poor in spirit and probably funds...needed the "coin" she knew she could get if she would only reach His robe. 
Yet the difference here was that what she needed was ever so much more than a "coin". She was healed, yes...but what she needed more was to hear Him speak to her. To make what had happened even more important. 
Charity was to be done so as not the shame the person in need...although tradition thought that both parties ought to know what was going on---who was giving and who was receiving. Think what a tighter relationship one would have knowing who was giving assistance. Think how hard one would try and make that help count, by finding that job, working closer with the giver. 
By having Christ stop, turn and search for the woman who was healed, but still in need, He filled her with more than a whole body. He filled her with peace, and peace is something we hardly ever find outside of God. Every other peace is fleeting. 
We need to remember to reach for the "coins" when we need help, which, of course, is all the time. We need to remember that as we reach for the "coin", the Rabbi will turn, speak to us, and give us more than we expected---For is He not the good, perfect Father, who will always help, always teach, always love, always hold, and always send good things? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

RA Awareness Day

RA Awareness Day