Top Verses

Col 1:15-19
15
The Son is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation.
16 For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him. 17 He is before all things, and in him all things hold together. 18 And he is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning and the firstborn from among the dead, so that in everything he might have the supremacy. 19 For God was pleased to have all his fullness dwell in him

Rheumatoid Awareness

Rheumatoid Awareness

Monday, June 19, 2017

Prisoners' Lives

Somehow, since I have not felt as well the last couple of days, I am reminded of the times I have called this a prison. A prison on my body, my mind and my spirit---when I let it settle in that deep. I am so tired of struggling against my body and against my mind which knows if I overdo I may or may not get a flare. It is such a balancing act to not make my prison sentencing worse.

How many other things do we settle into as a prison, not to mention actual prison? We allow ourselves to be bullied into a corner in which we curl up and wait for the "inevitable" sentencing to pass over us. But are we acting as we should in those "prison" situations? I would guess not, as the fetal position is not world-changing. 

We are in prison for a few reasons: one is actual imprisonment, with the subheadings of legal and illegal. Another is mental imprisonment, done to ourselves with either our own choices or because of someone else's action (rape comes to mind with the latter, nervousness perhaps for the former), or we may do our own spiritual (physical and/or mental) imprisonment because we allow Satan to get a foothold, we choose to go our own way, or we have fallen apart furthest, thinking God does not care.

'I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’ Mt 25.43

 This verse, in the context of proving who were actual followers of Christ, is a pointing out that we should indeed serve others. I do not think that this means we "have" to do it or even all of it, but I think service to our fellow creations in the image shows an understanding of God's love. 

I think over the many things people have done for me over the years I have been in various "prisons", and I am so grateful that they stopped and gave me their time. They gave me water, to ease my thirsty stress, they invited me into their confidence, they soothed my sick body, and comforted me in my prisons.

One of the favorite books of the family is called A Lost Princess: A Double Story (or in some versions simply A Double Story). Two very spoiled little girls who are as different as night and day in their spoiling, are kidnapped by a Wise Woman (analogy of Christ) and so change who and what they are. However, at the beginning of the book, it is pointed out that each of these girls is a Somebody, a most important person--and it is this thought process that puts these girls into a prison of sorts. 

Christ helps us out of the difficulties of life. Not that they will leave, necessarily. For those hardships are a buffing agent...a way of getting the impure out. Ha, I consider my life ten years ago and the concerns there do not seem to bother me now. Each battle you leave in His hands, walking along by faith, finds in cured---in one way or another. 
Think of Peter and walking on water. So long as his mind and focus was on Christ, NOT the water under his feet, he walked along fine. Christ was buoying his up, shoring him up to be above his problems. Once he began to panic, he fell deep into the prison of fear, screaming Lord save me! when his doubt toppled. And what happened? Just like the story, Christ will pick us up out of the water...just not always in a way we want or expect. 

Do we see others in trouble (have the ability) and so reach out and touch their lives? It may be as "unobtrusive" as an adult child having a bad day---but that bad day was a form of a prison to that adult child. Someone may actually be incarcerated---how helpful is it to that person that you take the time to meet with them, to remind them of, or introduce them to, God. 

Our prisons are the tools to use in the world, to continue to shine with the light of God, carrying the salt with us as we go. It is important that we get help when we are downtrodden from our "prison" sentences, none of course being so faithful or ever-ready as God, but leaning on our fellow followers is of extraordinary wealth.  

In me there is darkness, But with You there is light; I am lonely, but You do not leave me; I am feeble in heart, but with You there is help; I am restless, but with You there is peace. In me there is bitterness, but with You there is patience; I do not understand Your ways, But You know the way for me.” “Lord Jesus Christ, You were poor And in distress, a captive and forsaken as I am. You know all man’s troubles; You abide with me When all men fail me; You remember and seek me; It is Your will that I should know You And turn to You. Lord, I hear Your call and follow; Help me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

RA Awareness Day

RA Awareness Day